In 2001, the Mount Olive Area Historical Society signed a 99-year lease with Christine and Lippman Aaron Long Jr. for the use of their house at 137 East Main Street as a history museum. The museum was named after great-uncle, David John Aaron.
David John Aaron
Aaron lived in Mount Olive between 1881 and 1910. He was the publisher and editor of Mount Olive’s first newspaper, The Mount Olive Telegram (1883-1890). He also owned Aaron’s Pharmacy, was an incorporator of the Bank of Mount Olive in 1901 (present day Southern Bank), and was the first resident of Mount Olive elected to the North Carolina State Senate (1902-1904).
The house which was built around the 1900s, was designed in the Queen Anne architectural style. It was originally occupied by Aaron’s son, Dr. Leonard Aaron, operator of Aaron’s Pharmacy. The museum opened on April 28, 2007. It is a subsidiary of the Mount Olive Area Historical Society, Inc.
The museum contains hundreds of artifacts from the 1700s to the mid-1900s. They include an 1850s pie safe, an operational washing machine from the early 1930s, farm tools and equipment, Civil War and railroad memorabilia and a timeline of Mount Olive’s history.
Exhibits include Mt. Olive Pickle Company, the University of Mount Olive, the Mount Olive Rotary Club, the Mount Olive Twentieth Century Club, the first Pickle Festival in 1952, and the Mount Olive Fire and Rescue departments. The museum displays also include an 1850s spinning wheel, an 1893 corn planter, 1930s stove, kitchens utensils, and medical instruments.
Photographs cover a wide range of individuals, street scenes and businesses. Manuscript collections include several area families. The Kraft Photographic Collection contains hundreds of thousands of negatives and prints covering life in and around Mount Olive from the mid-1900s to the early 2000s.
This website wouldn’t be possible without the University of Mount Olive. A group of students designed and edited this site, their information can be found right here.
Listed below are some of the close friends and supporters of the town.